Monday, November 03, 2008

Big Things


There hasn't been much crafting going on here, but I did want to post about a couple of things. I know there are only a few readers here, but really, it only takes one person to make a difference so, why not!

First things first. VOTE!! Really. I have always been pretty fascinated by the democratic process, and have never missed a presidential election, but a few years ago when I saw the HBO movie Iron Jawed Angels I swore I would never miss a vote again. If you don't know the history of the suffrage movement this movie is a good intro. Anyway, even if you feel like your vote doesn't count, do it. People died to give you that right. *stepping off soap box*

Second, and really in the long run more importantly, check out Mama To Mama. I have been a long time follower of Amanda Soule. The woman is inspiring. She has a new site that encourages helping others through crafting. Awesome! This first project is making newborn baby hats for babies in Haiti. Reading the post broke my heart. How on earth in a country so close to ours can 12% of the children die before the age of 5?? That is unacceptable and lead me to a few hours of research on Haiti. It is heartbreaking. Amanda has a good point. It is easy to feel like there is no way you, just one person, could make a difference in such a grave situation, but perhaps if we all work together we can. The baby hats they are making are easy, and made from old t-shirts. If you have a sewing machine and a few extra hours (or even minutes really) do you think you could make a few? Every single hat matters. And for a few other ideas on how you can help and learn more about Haiti check here. I have been feeling so wrapped up in my life and this business and all the stuff that goes with it, I think this Mama To Mama program will be great. I think I will get my girls involved too. It is always good to have a reality check on just how little I have to complain about.

Pictures and some homespun goodness should be coming soon. I am still waiting for the charger for my camera to return from Florida.

No comments: